July 17, 2014

How to Fix a Broken Shoulder: Irresistible Force vs. Immovable Object

by Slacker | Guest Writer

First some self introduction, I’m very laid back & lazy as most people are (I guess), thus calling myself Slacker as a reminder to keep on moving my lazy bum. Training Muay Thai & Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) up to 6 days a week & Mountain Biking with my buddy to round off the week, it’s been my way of life since I can remember & I’m loving it..

As Newton has said – an object in motion tends to stay in motion. And so I am, in my mid 30s, active, happy, healthy & fit as a fiddle. But stop it did, on the 4th May 2014 as irresistible force met immovable object!

Bukit Timah Bike Trail

It was a beautiful day & I was taking my upgraded bike out for a spin around Bukit Timah (BT) Trail. My buddy had a wedding lunch to attend so I decided to ride a couple rounds of BT (as opposed to our usual  less crowded route, for safety sake) before calling it a day.

It was fast & fun & I was thoroughly enjoying myself as I zoomed down the trail. It was bouncy on the 1st small rocky downhill & I skidded to the side but thought nothing of it & carried on immediately. Cleared the 2nd rocky section as per normal & pedaled to the 3rd. It started well but started to get bouncy halfway through as I struggled to keep my bike under control. Finally the end was in sight as I managed to get to the final rock, a sudden flick & a split second later, my whole world changed, literally..

Irresistible force has met immovable object & it won this round as the top of my right shoulder was driven straight through the ground somewhat like what you see in World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) – a stupendous suplex, quite a sight to behold if I might add..
The Immovable Object moved..

Taking a while to recompose myself as my breathing resumed to normal. I noticed that my collarbone/shoulder area was deformed but there wasn’t much pain. That’s a good sign I thought, compared to previously (shattered collarbone).

So there I was, sitting uncomfortably on the side at a place where no one usually stops to rest. It was a good 10-15mins, at least 6-7 bikers & 5 hikers went past. All hurried along, not a single soul asked if I was ok.. Most stared straight ahead, somewhat scared to make eye contact from what I can tell.

Somewhat pissed off with this lack of basic trail etiquette compassion. I pushed my bike out with my trusty left hand & started cycling to home sweet home, keeping my fingers crossed that the pain will not explode off the chart before I make it home.

To my surprise, the big pain never came & I was still able to use my right hand for light tasks. Off to TTSH (Tan Tock Seng Hospital) I went but not before a bath & lunch as the wait will be way too long I'm sure. It didn't feel too bad but changing of clothes was a real wake up call if you know what I meanGiven the symptoms & my prior experience, I remember thinking that I should be back in no time but unbeknownst to me then, this split second has changed my way of life forever..

To be continued.....

Editor's note: I have complained to Slacker for ending his experience at the most crucial phrase whereby he detailed his diagnosis. He was telling that he wanted a cliffhanger. I told him that cliffhanger is too much for the instant gratification twitter generation and asked him to haul his ass and complete his essay ASAP. He promised this weekend.... Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Accolades

Powered by Blogger.